Description: The Texas Department of State Health Services is urging all Texans to take precautions against West Nile virus. DSHS is seeing earlier and larger than normal disease activity compared to previous years. Through July 31, there have been more reported cases of West Nile virus illness cases than in any other year since West Nile came to the state in 2002. Nationally, there have been 241 cases reported to the CDC; Texas cases account for over 60% of this total, and half of the deaths. Please join David Lakey, MD, Commissioner, and Texas Department of State Health Services staff Robert Kaspar, MD; Paul McGaha, DO, MPH; and Tom Sidwa, DVM, MPH, to learn more about West Nile virus in Texas, including its epidemiology, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.
Presenters: Robert Kaspar, MD, Infectious Disease Officer for the State of Texas, Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and Clinical Associate Professor, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio; Paul McGaha, DO, MPH, Regional Director for Health Service Region 4 and 5 (North), DSHS, and Acting Assistant Commissioner for the DSHS Division for Regional and Local Health Services; Tom Sidwa, DVM, MPH, Manager, Zoonosis Control Branch, DSHS.
Continuing Education Credit Hours: No continuing education credits will be awarded
To request a full-text copy of any of the articles below, please e-mail email@example.com.
- Ferguson DD, Gershman K, LeBailly A, Petersen LR. Characteristics of the rash associated with West Nile virus fever. Clin Infect Dis. 2005 Oct 15;41(8):1204-7.
- Green MS, et al. Long-term Death Rates, West Nile virus epidemic, Israel, 2000. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005 Nov;11(11):1754-7. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3367367/?tool=pubmed
- Huhn GD, et al. The emergence of West Nile virus during a large outbreak in Illinois in 2002. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005 Jun;72(6):768-76. www.ajtmh.org/content/72/6/768.long
- Sejvar JJ, et al. Neurocognitive and functional outcomes in persons recovering from West Nile virus illness. J Neuropsychol. 2008 Sep;2(Pt 2):477-99.
- Watson JT, et al. Clinical characteristics and functional outcomes of West Nile fever. Ann Intern Med. 2004 Sep 7;141(5):360-5.
- West Nile information from the CDC: www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/index.htm