Texas Department of State Health Services- Regional Zoonosis Control Offices.
(various surveillance activities, equine and human cases):
- Region 1 - Canyon (806) 655-7151
- Region 2/3 - Arlington (817) 264-4920
- Region 4/5N - Tyler (903) 533-5243
- Region 6/5S - Houston (713) 767-3300
- Region 7 - Temple (254) 778-6744
- Region 8 - Uvalde (830) 278-7151 or (830)-591-4383
- Region 9/10 - El Paso (915) 834-7782
- Region 11 - Harlingen (956) 444-3212
Texas Department of State Health Services – Laboratory: (512) 776-7760 (human diagnostic samples) or (512) 776-7515 (mosquitoes)
Texas Animal Health Commission: (800) 550-8242
Texas Veterinary Services, United States Department of Agriculture: (512) 383-2400.
Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (equine diagnostic samples):
Amarillo – (888) 646-5624
College Station - (888) 646-5623
Texas Department of State Health Services - Website for current maps and other information such as symptoms, sample submission, and protective measures: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/disease/arboviral/westNile/.
To report a die-off of birds,* contact the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's Kills and Spills Team (KAST) at (512) 389-4848. For additional information, go to http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/environconcerns/kills_and_spills/
Texas Department of State Health Services - Website for current maps and other information such as symptoms, sample submission,* and protective measures: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/disease/arboviral/westNile/.
* Note: the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) does not test birds for West Nile virus. Please do not contact DSHS if you find a dead bird. If you wish to dispose of a bird carcass, wear gloves and dispose of it in the garbage. As a reminder, whenever you handle an animal, you should wash your hands.