The State Health Services Council (Council) seeks to provide an environment that fosters strong consumer and constituent input and places the concerns, interests, and well-being of consumers and constituents at the center of their attention. All meetings are open to the public and meeting agendas are officially posted on the Office of the Secretary of State's website and on the DSHS Internet site nine days prior to the meeting date.
The Council accepts public testimony at meetings. Persons wishing to address the Council must complete a registration form at the reception desk before the start of the meeting. If preferred, persons may register in advance of the meeting by completing an online registration form. The person’s name will be called by the Council Chair when it is time for the individual to provide comment.
- In order to provide time to all persons wishing to speak, the Council observes a three-minute time limit per speaker on public comments.
- Written materials presented in conjunction with a speaker’s testimony must be provided to the registration desk at the time of registration, with the speaker’s name clearly marked in the upper right corner of page 1.
- So that all Council members may review the speaker’s information during the speaker’s testimony, speakers are asked to provide 15 copies of materials.
- In general, comments related to specific agenda items are taken with that agenda item. Comments that are not related to an agenda item are taken during the “General Public Comment” period.
- Although the Council generally follows the order posted on the agenda, agenda items may be taken out of order at the Chair’s discretion. The Council may also remove or postpone an agenda item to a subsequent meeting.
Consent Agenda Item
The meeting agenda may include a Consent Agenda item.
- Council members will have received written copies of the materials to be voted on prior to the meeting.
- Council members will have participated in a discussion of agenda items at a Council work session and will vote on the items posted on the Consent Agenda without further discussion at the Council meeting.
- The public is encouraged to provide comments on proposed rules at the Council work session.
- The Chair may remove an item from the Consent Agenda at the request of a Council member or if anyone signs up to provide public comment on the item at the Council meeting.
- Items removed from the Consent Agenda are repositioned to a separate agenda item and will be voted upon individually following discussion and public comment at the Council meeting.
For more information about participating at State Health Services Council meetings, contact Carolyn Bivens at 512-776-2370 or by e-mail at email@example.com.