New Information for Texans Licensed Professional Counselors; LPC-Interns, and new LPC Applicants.
Please note: For Texas state licensure, please use the application form that is titled "Texas Licensure Examination Registration". Fees paid to NBCC are not refundable. If you pay a higher fee for a different exam or if you use the application for the wrong exam, the fees will not transfer to the Texas NCE. The $185 exam is only available for Texas state licensure.
Click here to view the NBCC, National Counselor Examination for Licensure and Certification, Candidate Handbook (Adobe Acrobat Reader, 159 KB)
Click here to view National Counseling Examination (NCE) additional information (Adobe Acrobat format, 203 KB)
Click here to download or print the Texas Registration Form for the National Counselor Examination for Licensure and Certification (NCE) (Adobe Acrobat, 128 KB)
Click here to view changes to the Texas Exam (Word 25 KB)
Take the Jurisprudence Exam
Click here to pay the exam fee or return to your exam for the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors Jurisprudence exam (In the eCommerce system, this payment is referred to as a "purchase".)
To Get Started and Returning Users:
- Click on the Catalog tab.
- At the Catalog page, select the desired Category.
- Select the desired Examination under the Available Courses/Materials heading.
- Add your exam to your Cart to check out.
- Once you add the exam to your Cart, click the Check Out tab to complete the registration process.
- At the Check Out page, you can:
1. log in as a RETURNING USER if you have already created your online learning account and are adding another course or...
2. click the Create New User Account button and fill out the requested information to complete your registration. Use a valid email address for your login to receive your purchase receipt, login confirmation and instructions.
- Follow the link provided at the finish of your successful registration/check out. If you have provided a valid email address, you will be sent a confirmation email.
- You can return to the site at any time and follow the link in the yellow box to your course.
How to get approval to sit for the state exam.
Anyone who applied before September 1, 2005 may sit for the NCE at any time during the effective dates of his/her temporary license. You will need to submit a letter to the board office requesting to sit for the exam. Upon receiving the request the board office will mail you the approval letter and the exam registration form.
An applicant who has completed the hours will need to submit the Supervised Experience Documentation form, available on our Applications/Forms" web page, to the board office. Once the form is received and the hours approved the office will forward you the approval letter to sit for the exam along with the registration form.
- Complete the registration form and submit it with the exam fee and a copy of the approval letter to NBCC.
- When you are approved by NBCC, they will notify you by postcard of the procedure to schedule your exam.
All exam fees are paid to NBCC before you may schedule the exam.
Please see National Counselor Examination (NCE) Additional Information for Texas Candidates for more information.
To complete the Jurisprudence exam, please click on the link above. (available after 9/1/05)
Information about Exam Reimbursement for Veterans
To access documents in Adobe Acrobat format, you must download the Acrobat Reader software. Please see the DSHS file viewing page for more information and a link to the Adobe website.