Information for Texas Licensed Professional Counselors; LPC-Interns, and new LPC Applicants.
Please note: For Texas state licensure, please use the application form that is titled "Texas Licensure Examination Registration". Fees paid to NBCC are not refundable. If you pay a higher fee for a different exam or if you use the application for the wrong exam, the fees will not transfer to the Texas NCE. The $185 exam is only available for Texas state licensure.
DO NOT SEND APPLICATIONS FOR EXAMINATION TO THE LPC BOARD. YOU MUST SEND THEM TO THE NBCC. THE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE FORWARDED TO NBCC FROM THIS OFFICE.
Take the Jurisprudence Exam
To Get Started and Returning Users:
- Click on the Catalog tab.
- At the Catalog page, select the desired Category.
- Select the desired Examination under the Available Courses/Materials heading.
- Add your exam to your Cart to check out.
- Once you add the exam to your Cart, click the Check Out tab to complete the registration process.
- At the Check Out page, you can:
1. log in as a RETURNING USER if you have already created your online learning account and are adding another course or...
2. click the Create New User Account button and fill out the requested information to complete your registration. Use a valid email address for your login to receive your purchase receipt, login confirmation and instructions.
- Follow the link provided at the finish of your successful registration/check out. If you have provided a valid email address, you will be sent a confirmation email.
- You can return to the site at any time and follow the link in the yellow box to your course.
How to get approval to sit for the state exam.
- Anyone applying for licensure after September 1, 2005 must pass the National Counselor Examination (NCE) and the Texas Jurisprudence exam before submitting an application to the board. To register for the NCE, you must submit an exam registration form, the exam fee, and a copy of your transcript showing conferral of a master’s degree in counseling to the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC).
- If you have failed the Texas exam three times and have taken the nine graduate semester hours, you must submit a copy of your transcript to the board office for approval to sit for the exam.
- Complete the registration form and submit it with the exam fee and a copy of the approval letter to NBCC.
- When you are approved by NBCC, they will notify you by postcard of the procedure to schedule your exam.
- All exam fees are paid to NBCC before you may schedule the exam.
- Please see National Counselor Examination (NCE) Additional Information for Texas Candidates for more information.
- To complete the Jurisprudence exam, please click on the link above. (available after 9/1/05)
Information about Exam Reimbursement for Veterans
To access documents in Adobe Acrobat format, you must download the Acrobat Reader software. Please see the DSHS file viewing page for more information and a link to the Adobe website.