As of January 1, 2007, the National Registry of EMTs takes the leap into computerized testing and Texas will be right there. As of January 1, all testing will be scheduled through Pearson VUE and administered at a computer terminal at one of the 19 testing center sites, with the possibility of two more sites coming online in the future. Remember, you must pass the National Registry exam AND have your Texas certification/licensure before practicing in Texas. Click here for Texas certification and licensure applications.
Want to test for EMS certification and licensing after January 1? The process will be different once NREMT goes to computer-based testing. Here are the steps:
- Enroll and pass your EMS course.
- Your coordinator will go online to NREMT and let them know you have passed your test.
- Go online to www.nremt.org
- Click on Login (top of page)
- Create candidate user account
- Create New Application
- Submit your application and fees to NREMT. Paying by credit card online is the fastest route, but they will accept money orders sent by mail.
- After this process is completed, NREMT will contact you with an Authorization to Test (ATT). This is the candidates permission slip to contact Person VUE to schedule the examination.
- You go to PearsonVUE at www.vue.com to locate a testing center and schedule a test. You can also call the toll-free number that NREMT gives you in the notification. Once you take the test, DSHS will get the notification of the results from NREMT.
There is a very good video with step by step instructions for applying online for the NREMT test. This video can be found at the bottom left hand corner of the NREMT Computer-Based Testing page or call the NREMT at (614) 888-4484.
How students apply for the NREMT exam
For assessment exams, contact National Registry at www.nremt.org or 614-888-4484.
The following articles ran in Texas EMS Magazine:
National Registry rolls out new exams- July/August 2011
Getting the lead out - May/June 2006
Computer testing Q&A - July/August 2006
Computer testing debuts January - September/October 2006
Computerized testing process - November/December 2006
Pearson VUE Professional Testing Centers - Texas
EMS Course Coordinator Packet