CE or not?
EMS rules have made CE accrual an option NOT a requirement for maintaining your license. If you choose to renew your license by completing CE hours, the hours you gain must be DSHS approved and meet minimum content areas. Until 12/31/03, you will be allowed to accrue CE as approved in Policy 03-C.
CE hours can be completed anytime during your 4 year licensure period. We recommend your CE accrual be consistent with your employer QI/QA plan, but the CE rule does not mandate a cut-off for CE completion, (except that it be completed during the current 4 year license period).
Reporting CE hours
Submitting your 2 year CE report is NOT required for maintaining your license. Neither are you required to submit a CE report form for renewal purposes. Renewing your 4 year license requires you submit a renewal application and fee, click here for application form and instructions.
Where and how?
EMS rules allow you several methods in which to accrue CE hours. All methods must have prior DSHS approval.
- Ongoing CE programs provided by department approved programs. Contact DSHS region office for area courses.
- National/standardized training courses. See CE breakdown chart.
- Authorship. Development and publication of a manuscript in a periodical.
- Academic courses.
- Instruction in approved initial training and CE courses. Apply the contact hours of actual teaching during the CE period.
- Policy *-A: CE approved by other accrediting agencies
CE programs are approved and monitored by staff in public health region offices located throughout the state. Contact your local region office for information on available CE offerings in your area.
Options for renewing
Click here for other renewal options.