DSHS family planning agencies, in approximately 70 clinic sites, deliver preventive, medical, and educational services. Services are delivered to clients regardless of age, sex, marital status, number of children, method of birth control, handicaps, religion, income, ethnicity, or national origin. The DSHS family planning program provides services through contracts with local health departments, medical schools, hospitals, private non-profit agencies, and community and rural health centers. Services are confidential and voluntary (View a complete list of family planning services). No state or Federal family planning funds are used to pay for abortions. For more information visit the Texas Administrative Code web site.
Note: external links are not endorsed by the Texas Department of State Health Services. The Secretary of State's site may not reflect recent changes in the Texas Administrative Code.
Top of Page
Funding Sources Information
TITLE XX - Social Services Block Grant, 42 U.S.C. Section 1397a
- Pays for family planning services
- Reimbursement is fee-for-service and categorical budget concept.
- Funds are supplemented by Title XX – Social Services Block Grant
Title XX - Social Services Block Grant (SSBG)
Provides individual and community-wide educational activities as well as family planning clinical services.
- Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) receives annual Federal allocation. A portion is transferred to DSHS to provide family planning services. DSHS distributes to contractor agencies.
- Funds are supplemented by Temporary for Needy Families (TANF) funds, as authorized by the legislature.
- Reimbursement is fee-for-service.
- No state match required.
Top of Page