Any person having knowledge that substandard care has been provided by any of the health care facilities regulated by the Texas Department of State Health Services may file a complaint.
Information to Supply When Making a Complaint
- Your name, address and telephone number. Every effort is made to protect your confidentiality, however, we must provide this information if requested in accordance with the Public Information Act. Or, you may make a complaint and remain anonymous.
- The name, address, telephone number and date of birth or age and the social security number, if available, of the patient(s)/client(s) referenced in the complaint.
- Date(s) of incident(s).
- Specify all facts directly related to the incident(s) being reported.
Procedures for Handling Complaints Against Regulated Health Facilities
The Facility Compliance Group receives complaints against regulated health facilities. The steps for handling consumer/public complaints are:
- Evaluate allegations to determine if a potential regulatory violation exists
- Evaluate allegations to determine if referral to another regulatory body is appropriate
- Authorize investigation, if a potential regulatory violation exists
- Send referral letters to other regulatory bodies, as appropriate
- Conduct investigation by on-site visit or by mail, as appropriate
- Determine regulatory violations, if indicated.
- Recommend enforcement action to be taken against the facility, if indicated
- Notify complainant of investigative findings
- Take enforcement action against facility, as appropriate
Federal enforcement action against a regulated entity may be taken by the Health Care Financing Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
State licensing enforcement action against a regulated entity may be taken by the Texas Department of State Health Services through the Enforcement Unit.
How to Submit a Complaint Against a:
- Abortion Center, Ambulatory Surgical Center, Birthing Center, End Stage Renal Disease Facility, Hospital or Special Care Facility licensed by the Department. Click here
- Community Mental Health Center, Comprehensive Out-Patient Rehabilitation Facility, Out-Patient Physical Therapy or Speech Pathology Service, Portable X-Ray Service, or Rural Health Clinic certified by the Department. Click here
- Narcotic Treatment Clinic or Substance Abuse Treatment Facility licensed by the Department. Click here
Back to the Top - Health Facility Program Home – Site Map – Links – Contact Us
Texas Department of State Health Services, Health Facillity Licensing Program
1100 West 49th Street - Austin, Texas 78756 - (512) 834-6646