December 1, 2009
The Texas Newborn Screening Program expanded its services to include screening for cystic fibrosis on December 1, 2009. With this addition, all Texas newborns will now be tested for a total of 28 disorders detectable through bloodspot screening.
Effective January 1, 2010, the cost of a newborn screening specimen kit will increase from $29.50 to $34.50. This increase will cover the investment in laboratory resources for the cystic fibrosis test and will expand the program’s case management/follow-up to include cystic fibrosis.
DSHS is committed to assisting healthcare providers during this expansion of the Newborn Screening Program. The following resources are/will be available:
- Frequently asked questions regarding cystic fibrosis screening can be located at: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/newborn/faqs_expansion_professionals.shtm
- New and updated information sheets to guide providers in discussing newborn screening and to guide providers who have patients with abnormal cystic fibrosis screens will be available December 16, 2009.
- Online continuing education credit courses on newborn screening are available now at: http://txhealthsteps.com/.
- A video on Cystic Fibrosis will be available in mid-December 2009.
- Additional questions can be e-mailed to: Newborn@dshs.state.tx.us
DSHS will continue to provide educational materials and resources in the coming months. Thank you for partnering with us as we care for the infants in Texas.
Jann Melton-Kissel, RN, MBA Susan U. Neill, Ph.D., M.B.A.
Director, Specialized Health Service Section Director, Laboratory Services Section