Apply for Your Initial License Online through the Regulatory Services Online Licensing System.
To upgrade your license from a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Associate (LMFT Associate) to a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT), you must complete the following:
- Submit a Supervisory Agreement Form (Form III) for each practicing location where the experience will be gained, even if the same supervisor is used at each location. A copy of your supervisor's licensure wallet card must be attached. The Supervisory Agreement Form must be submitted within 60 days of commencing supervision and experience. Experience accrued without a board-approved Supervisory Agreement Form on file will not be accepted. If you do not receive written notice of approval, it is your responsibility to verify with the board that each submitted Supervisory Agreement Form is board-approved.
- With a board-approved Supervisory Agreement Form on file, you must complete at least 3,000 hours of board-approved, supervised marriage and family therapy experience.
- Of the 3,000 hours, you must complete at least 1,500 hours in direct clinical services (at least 750 hours must be provided to couples or families).
- The remaining 1,500 hours may come from either direct clinical services or related experiences.
- You must complete 200 hours of supervision (at least 100 hours in individual supervision).
- You must hold the LMFT Associate license for a minimum of 24 months. This will require at least 1 renewal. The renewal fee is $136. The MFT Renewal Application Form (Form B) is available on the "Applications and Forms" page. Please contact the board to ensure that you are eligible to renew.
- Complete 15 hours of continuing education, 6 of which must be in ethics, during each renewal period.
- Once you have completed your hours, submit the Licensed Supervised Experience Verification Form (Form V) for each board-approved location to document your completed hours.
- Submit the MFT Supervised Clinical Practicum Supervision and Experience Verification Form (Form VI), if not previously submitted. Your transcript must verify completion of your practicum.
- Submit the MFT Application Form for Licensure/Upgrade (Form A).
- Submit the $90 initial LMFT license upgrade fee.
- Submit proof of completion of the Jurisprudence Exam.
- Additional documentation may be required (continuing education documentation, documentation of completed experience hours, etc.).
- After the board receives and approves the submitted documents, you will be eligible to upgrade your license to full licensure.
- Upon the issuance of the Licensed Marriage and Family Therapy (LMFT) license, submit in writing that you are no longer being supervised by your supervisor(s). You and your supervisor may submit this information via email at email@example.com.
- It is your responsibility to submit the required documents to the board.
- It is your responsibility to follow-up with the board.