January 22, 2013
Applications for the Local Authority Network Advisory Committee
DSHS is seeking applicants in the following stakeholder categories:
- Rural local government officials
- Other individuals with expertise in the field of mental health
(NOTE: This category includes academics, researchers, consultants, employees of relevant foundations, and others who are not members of one of the other membership categories.)
Application Due Date: June 30, 2013
The Department of State Health Services is seeking applications for the Local Authority Network Advisory Committee (LANAC) established pursuant to Texas Health and Safety Code §533.0351. The Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) makes the final decisions on all appointments. The LANAC advises HHSC and the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) on technical and administrative issues that directly affect local mental health authority responsibilities. Currently there are vacancies in the categories listed above.
The application due date is June 30, 2013. If interested, please complete the application form below and return it, together with a current resume, to the address shown at the end of the form.
Additional information about the LANAC and committee member qualifications:
As set out in Texas Health & Safety Code §533.0351, the committee is composed of an equal number of representatives appointed by the Executive Commissioner of HHSC from:
- local mental health authorities;
- community mental health service providers;
- private mental health service providers;
- local government officials;
- advocates for individuals with mental health needs;
- consumers of mental health services;
- family members of individuals with mental health needs; and
- other individuals with expertise in the field of mental health.
The committee includes representation from different regions of the state; rural and urban counties; and single-county and multi-county mental health authorities.
The committee is charged with:
- reviewing rules and proposed rules as well as participating in any negotiated rulemaking process related to local mental health authority operations;
- advising HHSC and DSHS regarding evaluation and coordination of initiatives related to local mental health authority operations;
- advising HHSC and DSHS in developing a method of contracting with local mental health authorities that will result in contracts that are flexible and responsive to the needs and services of local communities and DSHS performance expectations;
- coordinating with workgroups whose actions may affect local mental health authority operations; and
- working with HHSC and DSHS as directed.
Members appointed to the committee must have some knowledge of, familiarity with, or understanding of the day-to-day operations of a local mental health authority. Along with H.B. 2439’s requirements, nominees should meet the following qualifications:
If applicable, be in good standing with the Medicaid, CHIP and other HHS public health programs;
Commit to full participation in activities including attendance at regularly scheduled meetings; and
Be free from conflicts of interest.
Committee members serve for three years. It is anticipated the LANAC will meet four times per year in Austin. Teleconferences are sometimes scheduled between the quarterly meetings. DSHS is currently authorized to reimburse only consumer representatives and family member representatives for allowable travel expenses while on committee business. Other members will be responsible for their own travel-related expenses to attend meetings.
Please send completed application and resume to Tamara Allen June 30, 2013. Individuals who have submitted an application within the past twelve months may request the previous application to be considered. Tamara can be reached at (512) 206-5007 or by e-mail at email@example.com.