The RGSC Vocational Services department has moved from San Benito to our onsite campus in Harlingen. These are some of the reasons for the move:
- Increased active treatment
- An opportunity to really individualize work schedules because we are here on campus. Before we were in another town and lost too much time during the travel to and from the unit.
- Gives all interdisciplinary team members more opportunities to monitor the activities of the residents and develop a more successful program
- Residents are learning the most fundamental areas of work like reporting to work, to more advanced learning like filling out a timesheet.
- Will increase ongoing vocational training in areas like time and attendance, filling out timesheets, and learning how to stay on task for any length of time.
- Cost Savings - the move has afforded the facility a cost savings of about $80,000 in rent per year on the leased building. In addition, we will save manpower hours to transport our residents in vans by 12 staff members times twice a day, spending 2 hours loading the residents back and forth. In addition, our nurses and the physician can be at the program within minutes if there a medical emergency. Before, non-medical staff would call 911 and take to hospital. This is also a cost savings.
- Dining is on campus making staff better able to monitor adaptive equipment and diet textures as the kitchen is on campus.
- The residents know have the opportunity and option to walk to work and enjoy the outdoors and exercise
- And above all, the safety of not having to transport our residents to another town.
The Vocational Services Program provides services to about 70 consumers who reside on campus, plus 6 consumers from a local group home, and 1 individual from a family home. Our program is not just for residents but for others who have contracts with the State of Texas.
Vocational Services offers the individuals many employment opportunities in the areas of:
- Arts and crafts
- Contracted Services
Current contracts include:
- UniFirst Linen
- Department of State Health Services (Shredding)
- Southwestern Bell
If you are interested in discussing possible contract opportunities, please contact:
Vocational Services Coordinator