Rio Grande State Center Outpatient Clinic
Under the Texas Department of State Health Services, Rio Grande State Center (RGSC) is the only public provider south of San Antonio, Texas that offers outpatient medical healthcare, inpatient mental health services and long-term services for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. This unique configuration of services has been provided to the Rio Grande Valley since 1956.
RGSC is accredited by The Joint Commission. The Joint Commission is an independent, not-for-profit organization, which sets standards for, and evaluates health care organizations in accordance with nationally recognized guidelines. The standards include an organization's level of performance in key functional areas such as patient rights, patient treatment, medication management, and infection control. They also focus on the hospital's ability to provide safe, quality care. To earn and maintain accreditation, an organization must undergo an on-site survey by a Joint Commission survey team at least every three years. RGSC was last accredited in July 2011.
Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID), Medicare, the American College of Radiology (ACR), and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) with Certificate of provider-performed microscopy procedures also certify RGSC.
General Information about Mental Health Services
Our psychiatric hospital is a 55-bed in-patient facility certified by the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS). The Joint Commission also accredits services for people diagnosed with acute mental illness, ages 18 and older. Mental health services are provided to the following eight counties: Brooks, Cameron, Duval, Hidalgo, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, and Willacy.
The admission process to RGSC requires screening and referral by the local mental health authorities.
RGSC offers treatment to people who require emergency/crisis hospitalization for their mental illness. The population consists of individuals who suffer from persistent and disabling mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder or other severely disabling mental disorders.
In April 2013, RGSC mental health services began their new Forensic Program. Fifteen beds have been allocated for the new Forensic Program, which will consist of competency restoration for individuals from across the state who have committed non-violent felonies or misdemeanors.
General Information about Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID) Services
Our long-term program is a 75 bed residential facility. Services are accredited by The Joint Commission and certified by DADS as an Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID) for people diagnosed with an intellectual disability, ages 18 and older. Services for individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities are provided to the following 12 counties: Brooks, Cameron, Duval, Hidalgo, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Willacy, Jim Hogg, Starr, Webb, and Zapata.
The admission process to RGSC requires screening and referral by the local intellectual disability authorities.
RGSC offers services to consumers with intellectual and developmental disabilities, autism, dual diagnoses (Intellectual or Developmental Disability/Mental Illness) and related disorders. Consumers must need a structured environment and program that cannot be provided in the home or community setting.
General Information about the Outpatient Clinic
Our Outpatient Clinic provides Primary medical care, cancer screening, and Women’s health care, to adults living in the lower Rio Grande Valley. Service include nutrition therapy, diabetes education and vaccinations thru the DSHS Adult Safety Net program. The Joint Commission, Medicare, the American College of Radiology (ACR), and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA)with Certificate of provider-performed microscopy procedures accredit services;. The Outpatient Clinic services are provided to the following four counties: Cameron, Hidalgo, Willacy, and Starr.
The registration process is scheduled via appointment to the Outpatient Clinic requires proof of residency, income verification, proof of Insurance (if covered) and a form of identification (photo I.D.).
The Clinic's scope of services includes: Primary Care/Internal Medicine, Women’s Health, Walk-In Triage, Diagnostic Radiology, Social Services, and Pharmacy Services (Prescription Assistance Program and limited formulary). In-Patient TB hospitalization for complications is available via contract.
Affiliation Agreements for Educational Experience
- Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District – school for age appropriate clients (ICF)
- LeTourneau University – Masters of Arts in Counseling
- RGV Careers – Associate Degree Nursing, Medical Office Specialist/Medical Billing & Coding, Patient Care Technician, Pharmacy Technician, Phlebotomy Technician, Vocational Nursing, Electrocardiogram Technician
- Samford University - Nursing
- San Antonio College – Human Services, Drug/Alcohol abuse Counseling
- Southern Career Institute – Medical Assistant Program
- South Texas Academy of Medical Professionals – Allied Health
- South Texas College – Nursing/Allied Health/Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Texas A&M – Corpus – Nursing
- Texas A&M – Kingsville – Pharmacy Training Agreement
- Texas Southmost College – Medical Lab Technician, Nursing
- TSTC – Harlingen – Nursing. HIM (Health Information Management)
- University of Texas – Austin – Education Program & Pharmacy
- University of Texas – Brownsville – Masters of Counseling & Guidance, Masters of Special Education Behavior Specialist, Nursing/Bio Medical Sciences, Visual Arts
- University of Texas – Pan American - Edinburg – Nursing, Social Work, Medical Technician, Rehabilitative Services, Dietetics, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy Assistant, Pharmacy, Social/Behavioral Sciences
- University of Texas – San Antonio – Nursing, Psychiatry, School of Medicine
- Valley Baptist Medical Center – Family Residency Program
- Valley Grande Institute – Clinical Education
- Walden University – Mental Health Counseling