Adolescents who meet the following criteria will be considered for admission to WCY:
- Must be 13 to 17 years of age; age at admission must allow adequate time for treatment programming, prior to turning 18.
- Must be psychiatrically diagnosed as emotionally and/or behaviorally disturbed and are not acutely psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, severely developmentally delayed, or seriously violent.
- Must be a client of a Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) facility, Community MHMR Center, or in the managing conservatorship of the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services (TDPRS).
- Must display a history of behavior adjustment problems in school and at home, and are not functioning well enough to receive services while living in the home. Also, must have exhausted all other available treatment resources.
- Clinically determined not to be mentally retarded as defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV).
- Need a structured treatment program in a residential type facility or a transitional program following discharge from intensive care in a state hospital.
- No emotionally disturbed juvenile who has been formally adjudicated or declared a Child in Need of Supervision (CHINS) will be admitted to WCY.
- WCY will not accept youth on an extended court order to mental health services.
WCY will accept referrals for possible admission from three (3) sources. Adolescents who meet the eligibility requirements and are:
- Clients currently in a DSHS facility will be referred directly to WCY by the facility where the client resides.
- Discharged clients from a state hospital being treated by a local Mental Health Authority (MHA).
- Clients under the managing conservatorship of TDPRS will be referred directly by that agency.
WCY Referral Application. If a client is being referred by TDPRS, a State of Texas Common Application for Placement of Children in Residential Care must be submitted.
Psychological Evaluation which includes intelligence testing. One of the following full-scale IQ tests is required:
- Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children - III (WISC-III)
- Stanford-Binet, 4th Edition (S-B,4)
- Kaufman Adolescent and Adult Intelligence Test(KAIT)
Copy of Immunization Record
In the event a decision cannot be made based on available records, a face-to-face/conference call interview may be scheduled with the Admissions Committee to determine if WCY is the appropriate placement.
For more information, contact Marilyn Moon, Admissions Coordinator, at (254) 745-5175, or Laurie Mazza, Admissions/Aftercare Assistant, at (254) 745-5302.