How to get Help - Substance Abuse

The Texas Department of State Health Services Mental Health and Substance Abuse Division funds providers of mental health and substance abuse services who then assist those in need of such services.

What to Expect

When seeking help for substance abuse, Outreach, Screening, Assessment and Referral Centers (OSARs) are the first point of contact for those seeking substance abuse treatment services. You can call for immediate and confidential help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Following the initial call, available services and treatment plans will vary from person to person.

When Treatment Contractors have a waiting list, they are required to prioritize admissions for certain populations.  The Department has established the following “priority populations” for admissions to treatment in accordance with federal Block Grant regulations and state designation:

  1. Pregnant females with substance use disorders who inject drugs;
  2. Pregnant females with substance use disorders;
  3. Males and females with substance use disorders who inject drugs.
  4. Males and females with substance use disorders who have been referred by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS). 

Finding Services

Children and Adolescents

Parents or legal guardians seeking help for minors may use the phone numbers and online searches listed above. For more information on services specifically for children and adolescents, please see our page on youth substance abuse services or our child and adolescent services overview page.

Last updated July 6, 2016