Contract Agencies Providing Benefits
This page provides information to agencies that contract with the Texas Department of State Health Services to provide newborn screening benefits to eligible clients.
Below are the Provider Manual and a Summary of Changes. Very few changes were made to the medication, vitamins and dietary supplements at this time. Other revisions may follow as needed. Call Irma Hernandez at 512-776-2983 if you have any questions.
2012 Contractor Manual
Eligibility Forms and Instructions
Monthly Billing and Report Forms and Instructions
Infants, Children & Adults; prioritized by need as funds are available:
- Income at or below 350% of Federal Poverty Income Level
- Diagnosed with disorder identified by Newborn Screening Program
- Bona fide resident of the State of Texas
- Annual recertification review
- Ineligibility for other programs providing the same services:
- Medicaid recipients
- Children with Special Health Care Needs (eligible if on waiting list)
- Children’s Health Insurance program
- CHIP Perinatal
- Title V Genetic Services
- Private Insurance
- Dietary Supplements (metabolic foods, low-protein foods)
- Confirmatory testing, evaluation, and follow up care
- Reimbursement to specialists for telephone consults
Eligibility is determined by NBS Benefits. Call 1-800-252-8023 ext. 2983 for questions.
- Medical genetic clinics
- Centers specializing in metabolic, endocrine and hematological disorders
- Medical geneticists
- Laboratories that provide confirmatory testing
- Pharmacies that provide vitamins, medications, dietary supplements (metabolic foods)
- Low-protein food manufacturers
Infant eligible for two months of formula immediately upon positive results, if eligible
Evaluation and management
Follow-up care, including laboratory testing
Remediation services-prescribed dietary supplements, vitamins, and/or medications, low-protein foods
Please email questions to Caeli Paradise.