The first step in becoming an approved provider is either:
(1) taking the training required to become an Administrator/Instructor; or
(2) hiring a trained Administrator/Instructor;
You will then be ready to complete and submit the application form, which is available on our "Applications/Forms" web page. The initial application fee is $300.
Approved offender education programs shall use the uniform curricula and screening instruments approved by the department.
The following curriculum, which is provided to each trained administrator/instructor, is currently approved:
- The Texas DWI Education Program Administrator/Instructor Manual
The program shall:
- conduct the program a minimum of two times during each reporting period;
- provide a minimum of 12 hours of instruction per course;
- provide no more than four hours of instruction in any one day; and
- conduct classes no larger than 30 participants and with no fewer than three participants.
The program shall administer and evaluate pre-and post-test instruments for each participant.
Branch and Additional Program Sites
The program shall obtain a duplicate certificate from the department for each branch site. Branch sites shall be located in the same county as the program headquarters or in an adjacent county. Each branch office or program site must have a local address and telephone number for participants to register and obtain information. The organization must submit a separate application and application fee to operate the program at a site that is not located in the same county as the program headquarters or in an adjacent county. The new application shall designate a program headquarters and may establish branch sites.