The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) is committed to making its Web sites accessible to all users, and we are committed to making Web pages compliant with Section 508 standards. We have included several features designed to improve accessibility. Some of these features are described below.
- Images on the site contain "alt tags" with descriptions of the image, which aid users who listen to the content of the site by using a screen reader, rather than reading the site.
- Audio and video clips are accompanied by plain text scripts.
- PDF files are accompanied by links to our file viewing information page where links to the latest version of the free Acrobat Reader and Adobe accessibility information can be obtained. The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader reads pdf files aloud.
- Spanish translations are provided when possible. We provide a Spanish version of our search page that will access our full-text search engine.
- We test any major re-designs with JAWS screen readers, Color Doctor, the Web Accessibility Toolbar and IBM Rational Policy Tester (WatchFire) to identify barriers to accessibility in web pages.
- We provide "skip navigation," a method for skipping to page content, sidebar, header, and footer navigation.
- Our Visitor Information page provides a map of the central complex with wheelchair accessible parking and entrances noted.
We welcome comments on how to improve the site's accessibility for users with disabilities. If you use assistive technology and the format of any material on our Web site interferes with your ability to access the information, please contact the EIR Accessibility Coordinator via e-mail or phone (512) 776-2913 or TDD 1-800-735-2989. To enable us to respond in a manner most helpful to you, please indicate the nature of your accessibility problem, the preferred format in which to receive the material, the Web address of the requested material, and your contact information.
For questions regarding other accessibility issues, please contact the HHSC Civil Rights Office by phone at 888-388-6332 (toll free), 512-438-4313, or 877-432-7232 (TTY toll-free number), or by e-mail at HHSCivilRightsOffice@hhsc.state.tx.us. You can also visit the Civil Rights Office webpages here:
External webpage at www.hhs.state.tx.us/aboutHHS/CivilRights.shtml
Internal webpage at http://hhscx.hhsc.state.tx.us/Admin/CSWS/CivilRights.shtml
Please visit the Governor's Committee on People with Disabilities or the HHS Accessibility Center for additional information about accessibility programs in Texas.