RADIATION CONTROL PROGRAM
Self-Referred Osteoporosis Screening
Special requirements for osteoporosis self referred screening were recommended by the Texas Radiation Advisory Board. They are:
1. Facilities requesting this authorization must use the criteria listed below in determining who may be screened:
- an estrogen-deficient woman at clinical risk for osteoporosis
- an individual with vertebral abnormalities
- an individual with primary hyperparathyroidism
- an individual with a history of bone fractures
- an individual who is receiving long-term glucocorticoid therapy
- an individual who is being monitored to assess the response to or efficacy of an approved osteoporosis drug therapy.
2. In addition, the facility must submit operating procedures for bone densitometers and the manufacturer's evaluation of the system to be used in the screening program. The evaluation shall show that such systems do satisfy the requirements of 25 TAC §289.227.
A certificate of registration authorizing self referred osteoporosis screening must be obtained prior to providing this service.
Facilities must also ensure compliance with Health and Safety Code Chapter 431, Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
Back to the Top - Radiation Control Home - Search - Site Map - Links - Contact Us - Texas Department of State Health Services
Division for Regulatory Services - P. O. Box 149347 - Austin, Texas 78714-9347 - (512) 834-6770