The Public Health Improvement (PHI) program supports the strengthening of public health infrastructure in counties where the TDSHS Regional Office serves as the local health department. The purpose of the program is to assist counties not served by a local health department in building capacity to carry out the ten essential services of public health. The program is funded by the Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant(PHHSBG).
Essential Public Health Services
• Monitor the health status of individuals in the community to identify community health problems.
• Diagnose and investigate community health problems and community health hazards.
• Inform, educate, and empower the community with respect to health issues.
• Mobilize community partnerships in identifying and solving community health problems.
• Develop policies and plans that support individual and community efforts to improve health.
• Enforce laws and rules that protect the public health and ensure safety in accordance with those laws and rules.
• Link individuals who have a need for community and personal health services to appropriate community and private providers.
• Ensure a competent workforce for the provision of essential public health services.
• Research new insights and innovative solutions to community health problems.
• Evaluate the effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services in a community.
Objectives of the Public Health Improvement Program
• Increase the availability and dissemination of local public health data.
• Develop public health leadership at the local level (i.e. local health authority, local board of health, local advisory council, local health department).
• Increase the number of municipalities/counties that draft, implement, and evaluate health improvement plans.
• Increase the number of municipalities/counties using public health performance standards to assess and monitor public health performance.
Health Service Region 4 and 5 North Public Health Improvement Activities
• Facilitate the formation and provide technical assistance to community-planning groups that address health issues at the local level (i.e., Future Search Conferences and Planning Councils, School Health Advisory Councils (SHACs), Public Health Advisory Councils, Local Boards of Health, and other local planning councils).
• Assist communities in conducting local assessments and/or community forums to gather local data (i.e., School Health Index, Community Wellness Index, Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System, School Based Nutrition Monitoring Survey, Tobacco Survey, focus groups).
• Assist communities with identifying and prioritizing health issues and creating a plan to address those issues.
• Develop and disseminate information regarding community assessment data, public health issues, and or community activities through a variety of media modalities (public service announcements, flyers, brochures, etc.) to increase knowledge and public awareness.
• Assist counties in the identification and appointment of Local Health Authorities when appropriate.
• Train local health authorities, county judges, and other community groups about the principles of public health.
Health Service Region 4 and 5 North Public Health Improvement Program Staff and Contact Information.
fax - 903-533-5367
fax - 903-232-3278