Rita Espinoza, M.P.H.
Communicable Disease Program Manager
7430 Louis Pasteur Drive
San Antonio, TX 78229
Stacey Hull, LVN
The purpose of the HIV/STD Program is to protect and preserve the health of the 28 counties in Health Service Region 8, its people and communities, by assuring STD/HIV prevention, care and treatment. We collaborate with local health departments, health care providers, and community health programs to provide services, resources and leadership to reduce the spread and complications of STDs and HIV.
The functions of the program include:
- Surveillance of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV infection
- Follow-up of persons diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease or HIV infection to ensure adequate treatment and partner notification
- Access to care and treatment for persons with HIV infection
- Development of comprehensive STD/HIV prevention programs
- Collaboration with at-risk communities, non-governmental organizations and local health departments
- Education and training of medical providers and public health professionals
Epidemiology and Statistics | DSHS HIV and STD Program