Matthew Williams, D.M.D.
Cynthia C. King, R.D.H.
Regional Dental Hygienist
The vision of the Oral Health Program for Health Service Regions 8 and 11 is improved oral health for Texans based on the principle that prevention is the best and most cost efficient way to manage dental/oral diseases.
- To provide on-site preventive dental services to low-income, underserved pre-school and school-aged children who are Texas residents.
- To collect oral health data to support local, state, and national oral health policy development projects.
- To serve as a collaborative partner with other regional public health programs and others interested in the provision of dental services
- To expand opportunities for preventive dental services delivered and oral health data collection obtained through elementary schools, pre-school facilities including Head Start centers, community health fairs and public health projects, and preventive dental clinics in association with dental schools and dental hygiene programs operating within the region.
- To serve as a referral liaison between community members and regional oral health programs and partners.
- To serve as regionally based representatives of the DSHS Oral Health Program and communicate, collaborate, and inform partners about oral health in Texas.
During the 2010 fiscal year the DSHS Regional Oral Health Program for Health Service Regions 8 & 11 performed dental screening exams on over 2000 pre-school and elementary school students and delivered over 4800 preventive dental services to include dental sealants and fluoride varnish treatments. Our collaborative partners included the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio School of Dental Hygiene, the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District, the Texas Health and Human Services Commission Border Initiative, the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Summer Program, and Community Health Centers of South Central Texas. The Regional Oral Health Program also participated in Operation Lone Star, which is a regional joint military and civilian medical readiness and disaster preparedness exercise staged in six Texas Border counties
Department of State Health Service Oral Health Program