Code of Conduct - In Spanish and English
Code of Conduct
(a) A social worker must observe and comply with the code of conduct and standards of practice set forth in this subchapter. Any violation of the code of conduct or standards of practice will constitute unethical conduct or conduct that discredits or tends to discredit the profession of social work and is grounds for disciplinary action.
(1) A social worker shall not refuse to perform any act or service for which the person is licensed solely on the basis of a client's age, gender, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
(2) A social worker shall truthfully report her or his services, professional credentials and qualifications to clients or potential clients. A social worker shall not advertise or claim a degree from a college or university which is not accredited by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation.
(3) A social worker shall only offer those services that are within his or her professional competency, and shall provide services within accepted professional standards of practice, appropriate to the client's needs.
(4) A social worker shall strive to maintain and improve her or his professional knowledge, skills and abilities.
(5) A social worker shall base all services on an assessment, evaluation or diagnosis of the client.
(6) A social worker shall provide the client with a clear description of services, schedules, fees and billing at the initiation of services.
(7) A social worker shall safeguard the client's rights to confidentiality within the limits of the law.
(8) A social worker shall be responsible for setting and maintaining professional boundaries.
(9) A social worker shall not have sexual contact with a client or a person who has been a client.
(10) A social worker shall refrain from providing services while impaired by physical health, mental health, medical condition, or by medication, drugs or alcohol.
(11) A social worker shall not exploit his or her position of trust with a client or former client.
(12) A social worker shall evaluate a client's progress on a continuing basis to guide service delivery and will make use of supervision and consultation as indicated by the client's needs.
(13) A social worker shall refer a client for those services that the social worker is unable to meet, and shall terminate services to a client when continuing to provide services is no longer in the client's best interest.
If you have a question about the professional performance of a social worker licensed by the Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners call toll-free at 1-800-232-3162. In Austin, call (512) 719-3521 or write to:
Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners
P.O. Box 149347, Mail Code 1982
Austin, Texas 78714-9347
1-800-942-5540 (Complaint Hotline)