The State Tuberculosis Hospital opened in 1953 to care for patients from Central and South Texas. In 1955, 550 additional beds were added to the original 408 beds. By 1959, the 958 bed State TB Hospital was the largest among the 21 TB sanatoria in Texas and one of the largest TB sanatoria in the US. But the needs for tuberculosis hospital care in the US diminished with the introduction of more effective antibiotic therapy that could be managed on an outpatient basis, prompting most TB sanatoria to closed during the 1960’s and 1970’s. In February 1972, the hospital was re-designated as the San Antonio State Chest Hospital, its mission was changed to include treatment for chronic respiratory disease, utilizing 150 inpatient beds and extensive outpatient services.
In 1978, treatment of other medical and surgical disorders referred from Health Department affiliates were undertaken. Also during this timeframe, many of the state TB hospital buidlings were transferred to the Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation to be used for the San Antonio State School (now organized in the State Hospitals Section, Department of state Health Services) and referred to as the San Antonio State Supported Living Center.
In 1994, the Legislature approved a name change designating the facility the Texas Center for Infectious Disease and clearly included TCID in the organizational structure of the Texas Department of Health (now organized in the State Hospitals Section, Department of State Health Services). In 1996, the Womens Health Laboratory, located in Building 533 on the TCID campus, was separately designated within another DSHS organizational unit.
During this time, the aging facilities at TCID could no longer sustain accreditation, and conditional JCAHO accreditation was determined until the facilities housing patients are replaced. In 1998, the Legislature authorized the Texas Department of Health to plan and construct new patient care facilities and to contract with the University of Texas System for medical management and transfer of a research laboratory to UTHSCSA. The 75-bed replacement facility, the largest new construction of its kind in over 50 years, started in 2009 and was completed in late 2010. In April of 2011, TCID patients were transferred into the new state-of-the-art hospital. The TCID program remains fully accredited by the Joint Commission. The hospital is also a Medicare-certified Specialty Long Term Care Hospital.