Marriage License Application and Report of Divorce Indexes prepared by the Vital Statistics Unit may contain data entry errors or misreported data, and users of the indexes may discover misspelled names, incorrect dates, or missing data. Ongoing corrections are made to the original record, therefore these indexes may not reflect the most recent information.
Marriage License Application and Report of Divorce indexes are not themselves legal documents and are prepared only as aids in locating the records upon which they are based.
If you believe that an original marriage licenses contains an error, you may contact the County Clerk's Office in the county where the marriage license is filed. The Vital Statistics Unit website lists the addresses of all County Clerks' offices in Texas.
If you believe that an original divorce decree contains an error, you may contact the district clerk's office in the county where the decree is filed.
How To Use The Files Once You Have Downloaded Them
After you have downloaded the marriage or divorce file(s) you wish to use, and
- Downloaded WinZip ZIP file extractor if you do not already have a ZIP file extractor on your computer.
- Go into Windows Explorer.
- Go to the Subdirectory in which you downloaded the file.
- Double click on the index file (example: marr70.zip). This will run an Zip file extractor program which will allow you to view the text file (.txt) that was previously compressed.
- Double on the .txt file. It will either open automatically in text file reader, such as Notepad, or it will give you the option to open it with a text file reader, such as TextPad.
You should then be able to view the text file.
Alternatives To Downloading Entire Data Files
Other options currently available to you are:
Marriage License Application Indexes
Report of Divorce Indexes
External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Texas Department of State Health Services. These sites may also not be accessible to people with disabilities.