Employer Wellness Resources
- The 2014 Texas State Agency Worksite Wellness Report is now available. Click here to view the report.
- View the Wellness Program Guide Books offered below and determine which wellness programs can work for your organization.
- Download the Worksite Wellness Index and Sample Outline for Developing an Employee Wellness Plan below to
- identify the strengths and weaknesses of your organization's wellness and health promotion policies.
- develop an action plan to implement a worksite wellness program or improve an existing program.
|Wellness Program Guide Books - Physical Activity and Nutrition
||Five A Day - Five A Week - 4 week program to encourage eating five servings of fruits and vegetables each day and being physically active at least five days a week.
Cover (105 kb)
||Lighten Up Texas - an eight week team competition program to encourage safe weight loss through good nutrition and physical activity.
Cover (1 mb)
Contents (214 kb)
||Maintain No Gain - an eight week program to promote maintenance of weight during the holiday season.
Cover (8 kb)
Contents (598 kb)
||Skyscraper Climb - a self paced program that encourages the use of stairs as a form of physical activity.
Cover (275 kb)
Contents (106 kb)
||Weather or Not - concept linking health departments or organizations committed to promoting physical activity with local media - television, newspapers, or radio - to incorporate a weather-appropriate physical activity suggestion into each daily forecast.
Cover (81 kb) Contents (216 kb)
Building Healthy Texans Worksite Wellness Toolkit
- DSHS, in partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas, has created a toolkit to help Texas employers develop and improve programs for employee wellness. Well-designed wellness programs result in an average 25-percent reduction in health-plan costs, sick leave, disability costs, and workers’ compensation. Click
Worksite Wellness Index - Self assessment and planning guide that will help identify the strengths and weaknesses of your worksite’s wellness and health promotion policies and programs, and help you develop an action plan to implement a worksite wellness program or improve an existing program. Download Cover (868 kb) Contents (177 kb)
Sample Outline for Developing an Organization Employee Wellness Plan - Booklet that provides a model employee assistance and wellness plan, and samples of essential materials necessary for organizations to develop an effective wellness program. Download Cover and Contents (42 kb)
Developing a Worksite Employee Wellness Plan - Template that can serve as a basic start for developing an employee wellness plan. It provides an outline and a checklist to comprehensively assess, plan and implement programs, policies and supportive changes within the work setting. Download Cover and Contents (24 kb)
A Six–Step Guide for Employers - Six steps to show employers how to reduce costs by investing in work site health promotion.Created by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Download Cover and Contents (578 kb)
A Purchaser's Guide to Clinical Preventive Services: Moving Science into Coverage - An important resource on preventive services. Developed in collaboration with the National Business Group on Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Purchaser's Guide translates clinical guidelines and medical evidence, providing large employers with the information they need to select, define, and implement preventive medical benefits such as colorectal cancer screening and tobacco use treatment. Download Cover and Contents (578 kb)
Reduce Cost, Prevent Disease, Improve Employee Health: Using Proven Policies for Effective Change - A PowerPoint presentation created by the Texas Department of State Health Services. Download Cover and Contents (1.94 mb)