Every August, Texas WIC highlights the importance of promoting, protecting, and supporting breastfeeding by celebrating worldwide breastfeeding events. However, since different parts of the world celebrate Breastfeeding Month at different times of the year, Texas WIC is recognizing August 2014 as National Breastfeeding Month. The 2014 National Breastfeeding Month theme for Texas is adopted from the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) theme, BREASTFEEDING: A Winning Goal - for Life!
Additionally, Texas WIC is proud to announce that it will be celebrating African American Breastfeeding Week during the last week of August. Although, Texas WIC breastfeeding initiation rates are on the rise, statistics identify racial disparities amongst breastfeeding mothers. In 2014, 73.8% of African American WIC participants report initiating breastfeeding compared to 80.7% of White participants and 85.8% of Hispanic participants. Thus, the new weeklong celebration is aimed at addressing specific challenges, myths, vulnerabilities and experiences related to breastfeeding in the African American community.
Breastfeeding is a winning goal for life, but how can Texas WIC effectively and efficiently answer the call to action and stimulate interest and relevance to the topic this August?
- Host a breastfeeding education health fair in the clinic and/or in the community. Set up booths/learning stations that offer information and materials promoting the value and positive impacts of breastfeeding for moms, babies, dads, communities, employers, and the environment.
- Lead an African American Breastfeeding Support Group for nutrition education. The State Agency is in the process of developing support group guidelines and scripting that utilizes the national campaign, It’s Only Natural. A memo will announce the completion of this project.
To increase attendance and participation in your National Breastfeeding Month activities:
- Advertise the event(s) to currently enrolled participants as well as to the entire community.
- Consider offering Nutrition Education credit to participants who attend the National Breastfeeding Month activities.
- Provide promotional and “give away” items. Example materials include, Sing to me Lullaby CD (stock # CD0030), Breastmilk Storage Guidelines Magnet (13-06-11968/A), Breastfeeding Logo coloring sheets (E13-06-14021-PDF), Keeping Mommies Healthy coloring sheets (E13-06-14022-PDF), and the Every Ounce Counts sticker (13-06-13393).
For more resources or to view compelling testimonials, visit the following websites:
International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA)