- The neck is present and the face well formed.
- The eyelids close and will reopen at about 24 weeks.
- Tooth buds appear.
- The arms and legs move.
- All body parts and organs are present.
- The fibers that carry pain to the brain are developed; however, it is unknown if the unborn child is able to experience sensations such as pain.
- Definitive signs of male and female gender are present.
- A heartbeat can be heard with electronic devices.
- The length is about 2 to 3 inches.
Contact Woman's Right To Know
© 2003 Texas Department of Health. All rights reserved. Photos: Lennart Nilsson / Albert Bonniers Forlag AB, A Child Is Born, Dell Publishing Company. Used by permission.