26 Weeks Gestation
- The central nervous system is developed enough to control some body functions.
- The eyelids open, close and can perceive light.
- The lungs have further matured and breathing is possible.
- The unborn child exercises muscles by kicking and stretching.
- The weight is about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds.
- The length is about 9 to 10 inches.
Babies born earlier than 37 weeks of pregnancy are called premature or preterm. Babies born between 37 and 42 weeks of pregnancy are called full term. Babies born close to full term have the best chance to survive and do well. The earlier a baby is born, the more likely he or she is to have serious health problems which may require extended hospital care or long term care outside the hospital. Advances in medicine and science will hopefully continue to improve the chances for survival for even the smallest babies.
Contact Woman's Right To Know
© 2003 Texas Department of Health. All rights reserved. Used by permission. Drawings courtesy of TDH Art Department