- Brain-wave patterns resemble those of a full term baby.
- Another person can hear a heartbeat by listening to the pregnant woman’s abdomen.
- There is a good chance of survival if birth occurs at this stage of development.
- The weight is about 2 to 2 1/4 pounds.
- The length is about 10 to 13 inches.
Babies born earlier than 37 weeks of pregnancy are called premature or preterm. Babies born between 37 and 42 weeks of pregnancy are called full term. Babies born close to full term have the best chance to survive and do well. The earlier a baby is born, the more likely he or she is to have serious health problems which may require extended hospital care or long term care outside the hospital. Advances in medicine and science will hopefully continue to improve the chances for survival for even the smallest babies.
Contact Woman's Right To Know
© 2003 Texas Department of Health. All rights reserved. Photos: Lennart Nilsson / Albert Bonniers Forlag AB, A Child Is Born, Dell Publishing Company. Used by permission.