Continuing Education Service
The Continuing Education (CE) Service coordinates the provision of continuing education contact hours for DSHS training events. The CE Service ensures continuing education events meet the national or state standards/guidelines for the following disciplines:
- Continuing Medical Education (CME): Accredited by the Texas Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- Continuing Nursing Education (CNE): Accredited as a provider of continuing education in nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES): Designated as a provider of continuing education contact hours by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- Social Workers (SW): Approved by the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners to offer continuing education units to social workers.
- Sanitarians (RS): Sponsor of Registered Sanitarians according to the Texas Administrative Code, Title 25, Part 1. Chapter 140, Subchapter C, §140.113.
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT): Approved by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage and Family Therapists to offer continuing education units to Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists
- Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC): Approved by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors to offer continuing education units to Licensed Professional Counselors.
- Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselors (LCDC): Works in conjunction with the Division for Mental Health and Substance Abuse to provide offer continuing education units to Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselors.
Information on Specific Requirements and Upcoming Training Opportunities:
Process for obtaining credits
- Contact the Continuing Education (CE) Service:
- Form a planning committee with representation from the DSHS CE Service.
- Meet with planning committee to discuss preliminary ideas for:
- Professional practice gap analysis and needs assessment data
- Objectives and topics
- Possible speakers
- Evaluation to measure change in competency, performance or patient outcomes
- Develop planning meeting minutes, which reflect committee membership and discussion items.
- Complete CE Documentation Packet. The Documentation Packet needs to be completed 60 days before the event
- Meet with planning committee to discuss the Documentation Packet.