The Texas Healthy Adolescent Initiative (THAI) is a community based initiative located in six Texas communities. The goal of THAI is
- To build a comprehensive local youth system to improve the health and well-being of youth so that all young people can reach their full potential. It is a collective, local, action-oriented network of youth and adults working in partnership to align efforts to achieve positive outcomes for all youth in six Texas communities demonstrating high rates of:
- Adolescent pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections
- Juvenile delinquency
- Adolescent substance use
- School dropout
- Childhood poverty
- To improve the overall health and well-being of Texas adolescents and build communities with supportive and sustainable environments that promote positive youth development.
- The initiative uses a systems approach to addressing teen pregnancy prevention by leveraging local partnerships and resources to collectively influence behaviors in young people that contribute to and impact adolescent childbearing using a positive youth development framework.
Current funded THAI Projects
Austin/Travis County Health and Human Services - Austin Healthy Adolescent Initiative: AHA Initiative
City of Houston Health and Human Services - Houston Healthy Adolescent Initiative
Clear Creek Independent School District
Communities In Schools of South Central Texas
Longview Wellness Pointe - Project REACH: Project REACH
Seasons of Change, Inc - Community Changers Project: Community Changers of Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas Area Health Education Center / Tyler
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center – Youth Empowerment Training Initiative
University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio - Familias en Accion
Recent Accomplishments of THAI Communities
- Being named a Top 100 Best Community for Young People in the United States two consecutive years, which leveraged the participation of the business community to help expand opportunities for youth, the community-at-large, and business partnerships that promote positive youth development strategies.
- Establishing, in partnership with other community agencies, a text line for youth and parents to gain access to information about development, day-to-day life challenges, relationships, and more.
- Changing community norms about youth voice in program planning and establishing a youth-led community partnership that demonstrates the importance of youth voice in community program development.
- Incorporating youth engagement as a specific strategy in a city government agency’s strategic plan.
- Shifting a program name from issue-oriented (teen pregnancy prevention) to addressing adolescent health collectively.
- Establishing city-funded positions for adolescent health that demonstrate sustainability and commitment to adolescent health.
Contact the Adolescent Health Coordinator
Last Updated July 23, 2009