Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors Apply for a New License - Provisional License

How to apply for a Texas LPC license if you hold a current license as a professional counselor issued by another state:

  • Complete the application form (be sure to sign it) and submit with the $200.00 processing fee to the address shown at the top of the application form.

  • Arrange for the submission of a letter and a copy of your official licensing file from the state in which you currently hold a license. The information must verify that your license is current and in good standing. This information must be submitted to our office directly from the licensing state or from the National Credentials Registry.

  • Submit official documentation that you have passed the national counselor examination.

  • Submit an official copy of your college transcript showing completion of a master's or doctoral degree in counseling or a counseling-related field from an accredited college or university.

  • NOTE: Board rules specifically define "counseling -related field": §681.2. Definitions (9) Counseling-related field - A mental health discipline utilizing human development, psychotherapeutic, and mental health principles including, but not limited to, psychology, psychiatry, social work, marriage and family therapy, and guidance and counseling. Non-counseling related fields include, but are not limited to, sociology, education, administration, and theology.

  • This information will be evaluated for compliance with Texas law and rule relating to provisional licensure. Refer to Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 503.310 and 22 Texas Administrative Code §681.112.

  • The provisions of law relating to provisional licensing for applicants who hold a license issued by another state were established as a means for persons who were trained and licensed in another state to relocate to Texas, as long as certain requirements are met. The provisions were not established as an alternate method of licensure for persons who were trained in Texas and failed or chose not to obtain a Texas license.

  • Please note that post-graduate supervised experience gained in Texas (without holding a temporary license) at a time that a Texas temporary license was required in order to complete an internship shall not be counted.

Last updated April 17, 2020