Equivalency for other health care professionals

EMS rules allow a candidate who is certified or licensed in another health care discipline, or who has completed training outside the U.S., to gain Texas EMS certification or licensure.

The candidate needs to contact a DSHS-approved post-secondary educational institution who may determine the candidate's education and experience as equivalent to the institution's EMS program curriculum. The candidate is responsible for complying with the institution's policies and procedures for awarding credit by transfer or advanced placement. Passing the National Registry exam is also a state requirement. Contact  your local EMS field office for a list of approved educational institutions.

Upon successfully completing the curriculum equivalency process and passing the National Registry exam, submission of the initial certification/licensure application for EMS personnel and non-refundable fee is required to gain state certification.

Paramedic Licensure

In addition to the above procedure, the candidate must have an associate degree in EMS or any higher level degree from a school which has been accredited by an agency recognized by the US Dept of Education as an approved accrediting authority. Submit initial certification/licensure application for EMS personnel, non-refundable fee and transcript.

If you have foreign credentials, you are responsible for acquiring translation and/or educational credential evaluation services. The evaluation should conform to recommendations approved by the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials, American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers and NAFSA: Association of International Educators. A list of evaluation services is available through the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). See the NACES web site at: http://www.naces.org.


Email comments & questions


Last updated October 2, 2020