Bottled and Vended Water - Food Manufacturers, Wholesalers, and Warehouses

Elimination of Bottled and Vended Water (BVW) Certificates of Competency (CoC) Testing

Effective September 1, 2015, Bottled and Vended Water (BVW) Operators, as defined in Health and Safety Code (HSC) Chapter 441, will no longer be required to hold Certificates of Competency (CoC) issued by the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) in order to conduct business in the state.  These recent changes were the result of amendments enacted by Senate Bill (SB) 202, passed during the 84th Texas Legislature, Regular Session (2015).  SB 202 repealed HSC, Chapter 441.

  • The certificate you are required to hold to operate a BVW facility expires on August 31, 2015. 
  • After that date, DSHS will no longer provide testing or issue new certificates, and no certificate will be required for you to remain in business.
  • Please note that there are state and federal laws with which you must still comply, including the requirement to be licensed by DSHS as a Manufactured Foods facility. 

Please do not post your certificate(s) for public viewing on and after September 1, 2015, as it will no longer be valid.  You should also refrain from advertising or making references in connection with your business that would lead the public to believe that you still hold a certificate of competency issued by DSHS for conducting business as a BVW operation. 

You may still verify former certificate holders on the DSHS website at:  However, custom verifications by mail will no longer be available. 

If you have questions, please e-mail us at

State of Texas Eliminates Licensing and Regulation of Seven Occupations/Businesses

A new state law, Senate Bill 202, was recently passed by the Texas Legislature. The new law becomes effective September 1, 2015. State law will no longer require a license issued by the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) for the following businesses and occupations:

  • Rendering businesses
  • Contact lens dispensers
  • Opticians
  • Bedding
  • Tanning facilities
  • Personal emergency response providers
  • Bottled and vended water certificates of competency

On and after July 1, 2015, DSHS will not issue new licenses or renew expiring licenses for these programs.

To learn more about Senate Bill 202, please select and enter SB202 in the search field.

DSHS will soon be notifying license holders and interested parties directly of this change in Texas law. If you have questions, please contact us via e-mail at

Licensing and Certification

Firms that do any of the following are required to obtain a Food Manufacturer license.

  • Process and bottle water in sealed containers
  • Dispense water through retail outlet(s) where either bottles are provided or the customer brings their own
  • Dispense water through stand alone vending machines. Each vending machine must be licensed separately

Rules and Regulations

Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 431 - Texas Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act

25 Texas Administrative Code, 229.81-91 - Production, Processing & Distribution of Bottled / Vended Drinking Water

21 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 129 - Processing and Bottling of Bottled Drinking Water

21 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 165 - Beverages

Last updated March 6, 2021