• Loading...

    The Foods Group is within the
    Division for Regulatory Services
    P.O. Box 149347
    Austin, TX 78714-9347


    Link to Texas.gov

    Government at Your Fingertips

    Contact the Web Director

    External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Texas Department of State Health Services. These sites may not be accessible to people with disabilities.

Wholesale Food Distributors General Information


Foods Group

Firms that engage in any of the following activities are required to obtain a food distributor license, a warehouse operator license, or a food distributor registration:

  • Sell any type of food product to any entity other than the final consumer.
  • Hold food that will be sold or distributed either by that entity or another.
  • Sell bulk raw materials (flour, sugar, grains, etc.) to any entity other than the final consumer.

The flow chart entitled, "How to License??? Food Distributors and Warehouses" provides guidance on which license is appropriate for individual businesses. This chart provides the current interpretation of our regulations and is subject to change. Please call 512-834-6670 if you do not see your specific situation reflected here.

The following entities are subject to inspection but are exempt from licensure:

  • Distributors of beverages in sealed container. Distributors carrying concentrates or drink mixes must be licensed.
  • Distributors of alcoholic beverages in sealed containers. Distributors carrying drink mixes must be licensed.

Please note: Exemption from licensure only applies to the specific products listed. If you carry any other food products, you will be required to license based on the non-exempt products.

Back to the Top - Foods Group - Links - Contact Us - Texas Department of State Health Services
Division for Regulatory Services - P. O. Box 149347 - Austin, Texas 78714-9347 - 512-834-6770
  • Loading...
Last updated September 25, 2013