Firms that engage in any of the following activities are required to obtain a food distributor license, a warehouse operator license, or a food distributor registration:
- Sell any type of food product to any entity other than the final consumer.
- Hold food that will be sold or distributed either by that entity or another.
- Sell bulk raw materials (flour, sugar, grains, etc.) to any entity other than the final consumer.
The flow chart entitled, "How to License??? Food Distributors and Warehouses" provides guidance on which license is appropriate for individual businesses. This chart provides the current interpretation of our regulations and is subject to change. Please call 512-834-6670 if you do not see your specific situation reflected here.
The following entities are subject to inspection but are exempt from licensure:
- Distributors of beverages in sealed container. Distributors carrying concentrates or drink mixes must be licensed.
- Distributors of alcoholic beverages in sealed containers. Distributors carrying drink mixes must be licensed.
Please note: Exemption from licensure only applies to the specific products listed. If you carry any other food products, you will be required to license based on the non-exempt products.