The following education and experience are required if applying for an assistant license. The applicant must submit evidence satisfactory to the board of having completed the following:
- The following coursework from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting organization such as the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges that included at a minimum:
- six credit hours of anatomy and physiology
- three credit hours of trigonometry or higher mathematics
- three credit hours of physics or chemistry
- a clinical residency for assistants of not less than 1000 hours, completed in a period of not more than six consecutive months, in an accredited prosthetic and/or orthotic facility (see the rules 821.29 Accreditation of Prosthetic and Orthotic Facilities) under the direct supervision of a licensed prosthetist, licensed orthotist or licensed prosthetist/orthotist, depending on the type of residency.