RCP HomeAbout Radiation ControlComputed Tomography (CT)Emergency PreparednessFingerprinting WorkshopFrequently Asked Questions (FAQs)Industrial RadiographersLaser Hair RemovalLaser and Laser Services RegistrationMammographyPublicationsRadioactive Materials (RAM)Regulatory GuidesSign up for Email Updates - Rule NoticesSummary of Incidents and ComplaintsX-RaySearch Radiation ControlRadiation Control Reference CenterGovernment at Your Fingertips
  • Loading...

    The Radiation Control Program (RCP) is within the
    Division for Regulatory Services
    P. O. Box 149347
    Austin, TX 78714-9347

    Link to Texas.gov

    Link to Texas.gov

    Government at Your Fingertips

    Contact the Web Director

    External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Texas Department of State Health Services. These sites may not be accessible to people with disabilities.

Industrial Licensing



How to apply for a new license

Guidance for submitting an amendment to your license

Radiation Safety Officer Change

Information required to terminate a site or license

Information to add a storage site

Agency Accepted Training Courses

The Industrial Licensing Program issues licenses that authorize the following uses of radioactive material:

up arrow

How to Apply for a New License

General Information>

  • Submit a completed and signed Application for Radioactive Material License, RC Form 252-2.
  • Submit a completed and signed Business Information Form, RC Form 252-1.
  • Provide detailed operating, safety and emergency (O,S & E) procedures appropriate for your use of radioactive material. From the links above, you will find a specific Regulatory Guides and/or guidance information for completing the application and what information should be included in your O, S & E procedures.
  • Submit appropriate fee. A nonrefundable fee shall be submitted with each new application. Refer to §289.204 to determine the fee that should accompany the new application. Review of the new application will not begin until the proper fee is received by the agency. The check or money order should be made payable to the Texas Department of State Health Services.

up arrow

Information Needed to Amend a License

Submit your amendment request by writing a letter describing changes requested to your Radioactive Material License. No fee is required to amend an active license.  In order to expedite your request remember to:

  • Provide justification for your request.
  • Clearly describe what changes you want on the license.
  • Include applicable attachments (i.e. facility diagrams, training certificate, certification statement).
  • Reference your license number on the request.
  • Date your request.
  • Be sure the request is signed by the radiation safety officer or officer of the company.

TIP: Submit separate requests. Avoid submitting a request for an amendment which involves changes to more than one license and/or a registration. Do not address other TDH related issues in your amendment request (i.e. Response to a Notice of Violation, fees, etc.)

up arrow

Radiation Safety Officer Change

If there is a change in the radiation safety officer (RSO) after the license is issued, the request for an amendment to the license should be made prior to changing the RSO or immediately after the RSO listed on the license is no longer performing the duties of the RSO.

The request to change the RSO must be signed by the old RSO or by an officer of the company.

To find out what specific RSO qualifications must be submitted, choose the link above for the radioactive material use your license authorizes.

This Agency maintains the policy of directing all department business through the RSO. The RSO should be stationed in Texas where he or she will be accessible during emergency situations and maintain surveillance over the radiation safety program.

up arrow

Information Needed to Add a Storage Site

To designate a new site, the following information must be submitted and approved prior to storing radioactive material there.

1. Provide the physical address, zip code and phone number for the new location.

2. Provide a description of the type of building the storage area is located and a drawing that shows where the radioactive material will be stored within the building.

3. Provide a description of the storage area to include dimensions and construction materials and any shielding.

4. Specify the distance of work stations in the vicinity of the storage area along with an approximation of time spent at the stations in one week.

5. Provide an indication of where Caution - Radioactive Material warning signs are posted.

6. Describe who has access to the storage area.

7. Describe the security measures taken to prevent the unauthorized removal of radioactive material from the secured area. (e.g., locks, alarm system, cameras etc.)

8. Provide a specific description of the areas adjacent to your proposed storage facility (i.e., residences, businesses, vacant lots, pasture, etc.).

9. If the proposed storage facility is not owned by your company, provide a copy of a letter from the owner of the property stating that they are aware that you are storing radioactive material on the property.

up arrow

Information Needed to Terminate a License or a Site from a License

  • Provide a written statement requesting termination of a license or specific authorized site, prior to vacating the premises.

  • If radioactive material stored at the site listed on the license, was transferred to an authorized recipient, provide records documenting the transfer. Each transfer record must indicate the isotope, the activity of each source, model number of each device and/or sealed source, and serial number of each device and/or sealed source. The transfer record must also indicate the name, address and license number of the transferor and transferee, the signatures of a representative of the transferor and transferee and the date of transfer of the radioactive material.

  • Provide a copy of the most recent leak test record for each sealed source that was stored at the facility, if only sealed sources were used. Otherwise, a closeout survey for the facility where radioactive material was stored and/or used must be submitted.

The agency reserves the right to conduct a confirming radiation survey and facility evaluation prior to the release of controlled areas for unrestricted use. It is the licensee's responsibility to decontaminate facilities to levels allowing release for unrestricted use. If residual radiation levels or contamination levels exceed the applicable release limits contained in 25 TAC §289.202, your license will not be terminated until release limits have been met.

up arrow

Agency Accepted Radiation Safety Training Course List

A list of accepted radiation safety training courses is available as a courtesy to you. We do not recommend one course over another. It is a resource for you to use to find the course that best suits your needs or used to verify previous training documentation for new employees.

The list of Accepted Radiation Safety Training Courses is divided into use categories; Industrial Radiography, Well Logging and Tracer Studies, Well Logging Only, Portable Gauge, Fixed Gauge, Spinning Pipe and X-ray Fluorescence.

  • Loading...
Last updated April 16, 2015