Advanced Technology Licensing - Radioactive Materials

Table of Contents


The Advanced Technology Licensing Program is responsible for licensing the following uses of radioactive material at industrial facilities. The listed Regulatory Guides are helpful in preparing the necessary information required to apply for a license.

  • Pool-type Irradiators
  • Loose Processors of Radioactive Material
  • Research & Development
  • Broad Scope Authorization
  • Sealed Source Evaluations - NUREG 1556, Vol 3, Rev 1
  • Device Evaluations - NUREG 1556, Vol 3, Rev 1
  • Manufacturing and Distribution
  • Emerging Technologies
  • Source Material and Special Nuclear Material

How to Apply for a New License

Submit the Required Forms

Complete, sign, and submit the following forms:

Applications and Forms Required for a New Advanced Technology License
Document Number Title
RC 252-2 Radioactive Material License (PDF, 67KB)
RC 252-1 Business Information Form - License (PDF, 54KB)

Submit the Appropriate Fee

A nonrefundable fee shall be submitted with each new application. Refer to 25 TAC §289.204 to determine the fee that should accompany the new application. Review of the new application will not begin until the proper fee is received by the agency. The check or money order should be made payable to: Texas Department of State Health Services.

Information Needed to Amend a License

Submit your amendment request by writing a letter describing changes requested to your Radioactive Material License. No fee is required to amend an active license. In order to expedite your request remember to:

  • Provide justification for your request
  • Clearly describe what changes you want on the license
  • Include applicable attachments (i.e. facility diagrams, training certificate, certification statement)
  • Reference your license number on the request
  • Date your request
  • Be sure the request is signed by the radiation safety officer or officer of the company

TIP: Submit separate requests. Avoid submitting a request for an amendment which involves changes to more than one license and/or a registration. Do not address other DSHS related issues in your amendment request (i.e. Response to a Notice of Violation, fees, etc.)

Radiation Safety Officer Change

If there is a change in the radiation safety officer (RSO) after the license is issued, the request for an amendment to the license should be made prior to changing the RSO or immediately after the RSO listed on the license is no longer performing the duties of the RSO.

The request to change the RSO must be signed by the old RSO or by an officer of the company.

This Agency maintains the policy of directing all Department business through the RSO. The RSO should be stationed in Texas where he or she will be accessible during emergency situations and maintain surveillance over the radiation safety program.

Information Needed to Add a Storage Site

To designate a new site, the following information must be submitted and approved prior to storing radioactive material there.

1. Provide the physical address, zip code and phone number for the new location.

2. Provide a description of the type of building the storage area is located and a drawing that shows where the radioactive material will be stored within the building.

3. Provide a description of the storage area to include dimensions and construction materials and any shielding.

4. Specify the distance of work stations in the vicinity of the storage area along with an approximation of time spent at the stations in one week.

5. Provide an indication of where "Caution - Radioactive Material" warning signs are posted.

6. Describe who has access to the storage area.

7. Describe the security measures taken to prevent the unauthorized removal of radioactive material from the secured area. (e.g., locks, alarm system, cameras etc.)

8. Provide a specific description of the areas adjacent to your proposed storage facility (i.e., residences, businesses, vacant lots, pasture, etc.).

9. If the proposed storage facility is not owned by your company, provide a copy of a letter from the owner of the property stating that they are aware that you are storing radioactive material on the property.

Information Needed to Terminate a License or a Site from a License

Provide a written statement requesting termination of a license or specific authorized site, prior to vacating the premises.

If radioactive material stored at the site listed on the license, was transferred to an authorized recipient, provide records documenting the transfer. Each transfer record must indicate the isotope, the activity of each source, model number of each device and/or sealed source, and serial number of each device and/or sealed source. The transfer record must also indicate the name, address and license number of the transferor and transferee, the signatures of a representative of the transferor and transferee and the date of transfer of the radioactive material.

A closeout survey for the facility where radioactive material was stored and/or used must be submitted.

The agency reserves the right to conduct a confirming radiation survey and facility evaluation prior to the release of controlled areas for unrestricted use. It is the licensee's responsibility to decontaminate facilities to levels allowing release for unrestricted use. If residual radiation levels or contamination levels exceed the applicable release limits contained in 25 TAC §289.202, your license will not be terminated until release limits have been met.

Guidance Information

Supplemental guidance information is available by contacting DSHS for the following license applications:

  • Manufacture and distribution of in-vitro kits containing radioactive material
  • Manufacture and/or distribution of devices containing radioactive material
  • Use of radioactive material in a commercial pool type irradiator
  • Use of radioactive material in a self-contained irradiator
  • Use of radioactive material in research and development
  • Storage and use of source material in broad industrial research and development operations
  • Storage and use of source material in aircraft parts
  • Storage and use of depleted uranium in extruded artillery shells

Additionally, DSHS can provide guidance with the following:

  • Decommissioning funding rule
  • Changes in licensee name or ownership
  • General laboratory rules
  • Laboratory technician safety training course
  • Development of a QA/QC program

Contact Information

For questions, please contact:

Email:  Shawn Garza 
Phone: (512)-834-4588  

For general licensing information refer to the Radioactive Material Licensing Information page.

Last updated March 5, 2021