• Contact this program
    E-mail: lsw@hhsc.state.tx.us 
    Telephone: (512) 719-3521 or (800)232-3162

Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners Apply for a New License - Requirements

The Board currently issues three licenses and several specialty recognitions. The three licenses include: Licensed Baccalaureate Social Worker (LBSW), Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW), and Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).

Recognition for independent practice (Independent Practice Recognition or IPR) of non-clinical social work is available to LMSWs and LBSWs who meet the requirements. Additionally, LMSWs who meet certain requirements may receive recognition as an "Advanced Practitioner" of non-clinical social work services.

The board may also grant board-approved supervisor status to a qualified licensee. A board-approved supervisor may supervise other licensees in certain board-approved roles supervisor. 

Persons who hold  social worker licenses in other states or jurisdictions who wish to practice in the state of Texas must apply for a Texas licenses and meet all of the Texas requirements. The board does not issue licenses by reciprocity.  Under certain circumstances, the board may accept satisfaction of some minimum requirements for Texas licensure which were obtained while holding a social work license in another state or jurisdiction and which meet the Texas requirements through a process of endorsement. Endorsement is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Last updated January 7, 2013