One of the most important things you can do for your child's health is to make regular medical and dental checkups. A checkup is a visit to the doctor or dentist when your child is not sick or does not have a toothache. Texas Health Steps checkups are given at no cost to you if your child is birth through 20 years old and has Medicaid. If your child needs care provided by Medicaid and is not getting that care, visit the Health and Human Services Commission web site about getting your child enrolled or call Texas Health Steps toll free Monday to Friday at 1-877-847-8377 (1-877-THSTEPS).
Texas Health Steps will help you:
- Find a doctor, dentist, or case manager.
- Get a checkup.
- Get a ride to the doctor or dentist.
- With any questions you may have about the services your child will get.
- Babies and toddlers: Up to 5 days old, then at 2 weeks, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months, 18 months, and 2, 2½, 3, 4, and 5 years.
- Older children: 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 years.
- Preteens, teens, and young adults: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 years.