The Continuing Education (CE) Service coordinates the provision of continuing education contact hours throughout the state for DSHS public events. The CE Service ensures continuing education events meet the national standards or guidelines for the following disciplines:
- Continuing Medical Education (CME): Accredited by the Texas Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- Continuing Nursing Education (CNE): Accredited as a provider of continuing education in nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES): Designated as a provider of continuing education contact hours by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- Social Workers (SW): Approved by the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners to offer continuing education units to social workers.
- Sanitarians (RS): Sponsor of Registered Sanitarians according to the Texas Administrative Code, Title 25, Part 1. Chapter 140, Subchapter C, §140.113.
Process for obtaining credits
- Contact the Continuing Education (CE) Service:
- Form a planning committee with representation from the DSHS CE Service.
- Meet with planning committee to discuss preliminary ideas for:
- Professional practice gap analysis and needs assessment data
- Objectives and topics
- Possible speakers
- Develop planning meeting minutes, which reflect committee membership and discussion items.
- Complete CE Documentation Packet. The Documentation Packet needs to be completed 60 days before the event.
- Meet with planning committee to discuss the Documentation Packet.
Annette Lara, CE Administrator
Sherri Richardson-Roland, CE Coordinator of Records