William G. Gray, D.D.S., M.P.H.
Diana G. Beeman, R.D.H.
Regional Dental Hygienist
5425 Polk Avenue , Suite J Mail Code 1906
Houston, TX 77023-1444
713-767-3471 & 713-767-3472
The vision of the Oral Health Program for Health Service Region 6/5s & 7 is improved oral health for Texans based on the principle that prevention is the best and most cost efficient way to manage dental and oral diseases.
- Provide on-site preventive dental services to low-income, underserved pre-school and school-aged children who are Texas residents
- Collect oral health data to support local, state and national oral health policy development projects
- Serve as a collaborative partner with other regional public health programs and others interested in the provision of dental services
- Expand opportunities for preventive dental services delivered and oral health data collection obtained through elementary schools, pre-school facilities including Head Start centers, community health fairs and public health projects, and preventive dental clinics in association with dental schools and dental hygiene programs operating within Region 6/5s & 7
- Serve as a referral liaison between community members and regional oral health programs and partners
- Serve as regionally-based representatives of the DSHS Oral Health Program and communicate, collaborate and inform partners about oral health in Texas
During the Fiscal Year 2008 through 2009, the Region 6/5s & 7 Oral Health Program performed dental screening examinations in 80 Head Starts, pre-schools, and elementary schools and screened over 3,900 students and provided over 9,900 preventive dental services to include dental sealants and fluoride varnish treatments; over $362,000 in in-kind services were rendered. Recent public health partners have participated in an ongoing collaborative event, Project Saving Smiles (PSS), that has provided preventive dental services to residents of school districts within Harris County over three week-long sessions throughout each of the past several school years. Included in the list of PSS partners are the City of Houston Dental Bureau , Good Neighbor Healthcare Center 's Dental Program, Memorial Hermann Hospital System Mobile Dental Van, Harris County Health and Environmental Services Dental Program, and the University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston . Other partners active in various regional projects include Lamar Institute of Technology School of Dental Hygiene, Wharton County Junior College School of Dental Hygiene, and the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Bachelor's Degree Program in Dental Hygiene. Work is ongoing from year-to-year with the Motivation and Education Training Head Start Grantee, the Tri-County Head Start Grantee, Neighborhood Centers, Inc., Gulf Coast Community Services Association, Cen-Tex Family Services, Inc., and Beaumont Head Start at Southerland Elementary. For the past several years, the Region 6/5s & 7 Oral Health Program has also participated in Operation Lone Star in La Joya, Texas and in Raymondville , Texas ; this is a regional joint military and civilian medical readiness and disaster preparedness exercise staged in six Texas Border counties.
DSHS Oral Website
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us.