Elvia Ledezma, M.P.H.
Texas DSHS Certified Instructor for Promotores/Community Health Workers
7430 Louis Pasteur
San Antonio, TX 78229
Fax (210) 949-2015
The Office of Border Health (OBH) is dedicated to environmental, epidemiological and educational projects specific to the Texas and Mexico border with the goal of fostering a safe and healthy environment and living practices. The close community relationship that our staff maintains on the border, coupled with our emphasis on both the environment and health, allows the Office of Border Health to function in a cooperative capacity with other agencies. The Office of Border Health partners with the United States – Mexico Border Health Commission, the United States – Mexico Border Health Association, the Pan American Health Organization and many other state and local partners in Mexico and Texas. In Region 8, the Office of Border Health also works closely with the Food Establishments and General Sanitation Program staff.
- Provide essential public health services to meet Healthy Border objectives;
- Provide administrative and programmatic support for the two international health councils in the Region: Hope-K Trinational Health Council (Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras/Kickapoo) and the Amistad Binational Health Council (Del Rio/Ciudad Acuña). Priority areas that the Councils work on are tuberculosis environmental health, diabetes, obesity, physical fitness, substance abuse and EWIDS;
- Conduct active environmental health and surveillance and field investigations of unincorporated communities (colonias) and other border areas;
- Monitor diseases, conditions and environmental hazards and prepare periodic reports of these data.
DSHS OBH staff is available to provide training to promotores de salud/community health workers on various public health issues. Training options include:
- DSHS-certified and non-DSHS certified CEUs for community health workers
- 160-hour competency-based Community Health Worker training program certified by DSHS using the Dia de la Mujer Latina curriculum.
Department of State Health Services Office of Border Health
Border Health Data
Health Status Overview of the Texas-Mexico Border - HSR 8
HSR 8 Border Presentation on Reportable Conditions (PowerPoint presentation, 476 KB)
Evaluation Presentation - Spanish (PowerPoint presentation, 263 KB)
February 2013 OBH Newsletter Issue (PDF, 7.55 MB)
2011 Winter OBH Newsletter (PDF, 3.3 MB)
2010 Winter OBH Newsletter (PDF, 599 KB)