Inpatient Research Data Application Forms and Instruction
The Inpatient Research Data File (RDF) contains data on discharges from Texas hospitals. Data are available by calendar year beginning with data for 1999. The 2012 Inpatient RDF data is available now. The scheduled availability date for 2013 Inpatient RDF data is January 2015.
Only data variables needed for each study may be requested.
*A new policy regarding the Inpatient RDF was implemented on August 1, 2012. Data requestors will no longer be able to link a RDF to a THCIC Public Use Data File (PUDF). The Record_ID field will be available in both RDF and PUDF; however, new sequences will be in the RDF that will not match with the PUDF Record_ID. The researcher must request all data variables needed to conduct the research study from the RDF order form. The variable selection list is in the THCIC Inpatient Research Request form below.
Note: Variables in the PUDF may be masked or suppressed. Variables in the RDF are not masked or suppressed.
STEPS FOR Requesting Research Data
1. Call or email the THCIC program at (512) 776-7261 or email@example.com and ask for the Texas Health Care Information Collection (THCIC) program contact for Research Data requests.
2. Discuss your request with the THCIC program contact. Explain briefly what data years you will request and the scope of the research study.
3. Complete the latest version of the IRB Application and Submission Detail forms (HRP-201 and HRP-202 or 203), plus the THCIC Inpatient Research Request form in “draft” and email all three forms to the THCIC program contact.
THCIC program will “preview” your draft forms for any potential issues that may cause your application to be disapproved and will provide you with this information by email within four business days.
4. Finalize your forms (IRB Application, IRB Submission Detail, THCIC Form, and any other required IRB forms).
5. Sign the original forms, make the appropriate number of copies as indicated on the IRB website (http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/irb/applirb.shtm), and mail the completed application to the THCIC Program to the address below. The THCIC Program will forward the application to the DSHS IRB program.
Once the completed application is received by the THCIC Program, it will be reviewed for approval by the THCIC Program, the DSHS Office of General Council, and the DSHS Chief Operation Officer before it is forwarded to the DSHS IRB for review. A final review, after the DSHS IRB has approved your application, must be approved by the DSHS Executive Steering Committee.
Ensure your application is mailed to meet the THCIC Program due date (see the schedule below). Multiple DSHS programs must review and approve your application before the THCIC Program can forward it to the DSHS IRB for review. The THCIC Program forwards your packet to the DSHS IRB about 3 weeks prior to the DSHS IRB review meeting date to ensure compliance with Chapter 552, Government Code.
Within two weeks after the DSHS IRB meeting date, you will receive an email notification from the DSHS IRB Administrator indicating approval or disapproval of your research data request. The THCIC Program contact is copied on the email. If your research data request is approved, the THCIC Program contact will email you a billing invoice for payment of the approved research data within two business days. The THCIC Program will begin building your research data request and it will be mailed to you within five business days of payment receipt.