When you order a birth verification or death verification letter, you will receive a letter that verifies whether or not the record of a birth or death was filed with the State of Texas. If the record was filed, the verification letter will include the person's name, date of event, county in which the event occurred, and state file number. Verification letters are available for births or deaths that have occurred since 1903.
Verification letters are not considered legal substitutes for birth or death certificates. It is strongly recommended that, before ordering one, you make sure a verification letter will satisfy your intended use.
Please note: If you are ordering a death verification for a death that occurred within the last 90 days, the information may not yet be available. Please expect that these orders will take longer than the estimated processing times.
Ordering birth verification or death verification letters through TexasOnline
For fast, affordable service, order birth verification or death verification letters through Texas.gov, the official eGovernment site for the State of Texas. The current estimated processing time for TexasOnline orders is 10-15 business days.
Anyone who orders from TexasOnline must:
- be ordering a record that is to be delivered within the United States, to U.S. territories or U.S. commonwealths, or to U.S. military addresses (APO, FPO).
- have a valid credit card.
If you do not meet these criteria, you cannot use TexasOnline, but you can make the request by following the instructions below.
Offline instructions for ordering a birth or death verification letter
- Obtain and fill out an application for a birth verification or death verification letter. You can either download one or pick one up in person. See the table below for details.
- Attach a photocopy of photo identification to application.
- Send in the application with the correct fee. The fee for a verification is non-refundable and non-transferable, even if a record is not found.
The processing times in the table below are estimates. Please make checks or money orders payable to DSHS.
|Offline application methods
||Payment methods accepted
||Processing time for most requests
|In person at the Texas Vital Statistics Office (VSU) in Austin
||Come to our office at
1100 W. 49th Street
Austin, TX 78756
8 am - 5 pm
|A half-hour to 2 hours. If longer is needed, you will be given a pickup time for 3:30 that afternoon or 10:30 the following morning.
|U.S. Postal Service regular mail
Orders may be sent via mail and paid with a credit card, check or money order
Click here for information on viewing files.