Texas Health Care Information Collection
Center for Health Statistics
Who Must Report
All hospitals in the State of Texas, except most rural providers and other specifically exempted hospitals are required to submit claims on all discharged inpatients.
- Hospital/ Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASC) Listing (Excel Format, 160 KB), with names and addresses, county, CEO, primary and alternate THCIC liaisons, reporting status, and facility type, as of December 11, 2014. See the Texas Association of Counties website for a map (PDF Format, 3 MB) of hospital locations.
What To Report
Hospitals are required to submit claims on all discharged inpatients attended or treated by physicians. Discharge data reports follow the national uniform billing data element specifications and additional state-required data elements. Required data elements are specified in the Hospital Discharge Data Rules. After data files are received by THCIC, they are reviewed to determine if they conform to data specifications. The data are then checked using editing criteria established by the agency.
Technical Specifications, the current specifications for reporting and correcting data. The manual is intended for the hospital's IT staff or software vendor that will create the electronic data submission. The Appendices include information that may be useful in the submission of inpatient data.
- THCIC Inpatient 5010 Technical Specifications Version 8, revised December 5, 2013 (PDF, 1.15 MB)
- 5010 Inpatient and Outpatient Appendices, contains default codes, payer source codes, audit list, race/ethnicity documents, and other helpful information, updated November 19, 2014 (PDF, 1.45 MB)
Data Submission – Electronic
- Submitter and Provider Enrollment Guide, November 6, 2014 (PDF, 549 KB)
- Enrollment Form for a Submitter ID, needed for electronic file submission.
- Electronic File Submission - Testing and Production Status Information (PDF Format, 48 KB), updated December 30, 2014
- Submitting/Uploading Files, Training presentation on uploading electronic files into the THCIC system (PDF Format, 1.77 MB), updated May 19, 2014
Data Submission - Manual Data Entry
- WebClaim, Training presentation for manual data entry via THCIC system (PDF Format, 5.07 MB), updated January 7, 2015
- Inpatient Reports, Training presentation on downloading reports (Frequency of Error (FER), Hardcopy, Summary, Data Analysis) on data currently in the THCIC system (PDF Format, 2.06 MB), updated June 24, 2014
Hospitals are notified of errors found in data files submitted to THCIC and are responsible for correcting the errors.
- WebCorrect, Training presentation for data correction via THCIC system (PDF Format, 5.43 MB), updated April 25, 2013
- Audit List, containing audits and messages used by THCIC for auditing inpatient and outpatient data. (Excel Format, 87 KB)
- Contact the System13 Help Desk at 1-888-308-4953 or email@example.com for help with electronic data submission problems, system login problems, changing a Submitter contact, or other help topics. If there is no representative available to assist, a message may be left for a return call.
- Contact THCIC by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with WebClaim, WebCorrect, and WebCert.
- Online training is available to Submitters and Providers. The schedule is available here.
Download Adobe Reader to view PDF files. Viewers for reading and printing Word files, Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint files are available from Microsoft's Download Center.
If you have suggestions or comments, please submit them to THCIC.
External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Texas Department of State Health Services. These sites may also not be accessible to people with disabilities.