Texas Health Care Information Collection
Center for Health Statistics
All hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers in the State of Texas, except most rural providers and other specifically exempted facilities, are required to report data on patients who had surgical or radiological procedures covered by specific revenue codes. Outpatient data submission was required beginning with services in fourth quarter 2009.
Who Must Report
All hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers in the State of Texas, except most rural providers and other specifically exempted facilities, are required to report data.
- Hospital/ Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASC) Listing (Excel format, 163 KB), with names and addresses, county, CEO, primary and alternate THCIC contacts, reporting status, and facility type, as of January 30, 2014. See the Texas Association of Counties website for a map (PDF format, 3 MB) of hospital locations.
- Criteria for exemption from reporting data.
What To Report
Final rules for the collection and release of patient level data relating to patients that have surgical or radiological procedures (under specified revenue codes) performed in Texas hospitals (as an outpatient service including in the emergency department) or ambulatory surgical centers have been adopted and can be found in Chapter 421 of Title 25, Part 1 of the Texas Administrative Code.
- Revenue Codes, covering specific surgical or radiological procedures that are required to be reported.
- Services and Procedures Categories with associated outpatient procedure codes which are required for submission, updated August 29, 2013.
The Technical Specifications manual is intended for the hospital and ambulatory surgery center IT staff or software vendor that will create the electronic data extraction for reporting and correcting data. The Appendices include information that may be useful in the submission of outpatient data.
Data Submission - Electronic
Data Submission - Manual Data Entry
- WebClaim, presentation for manual data entry of outpatient claims via THCIC system, updated April 25, 2013 (PDF Format, 5.41 MB)
- Outpatient Reports, Training presentation on downloading reports (FER, Hardcopy, Summary, Data Analysis) on data currently in the THCIC system, updated April 25, 2013 (PDF Format 1.75 MB)
Facilities are responsible for correcting errors found in data files submitted to THCIC.
- WebCorrect, Training presentation for data correction via THCIC system, updated April 25, 2013 (PDF Format, 6.63 MB)
- Audit List, containing audits and error messages used by THCIC for auditing data. (Excel format, 87 KB)
Facilities are required to certify each quarterly dataset as being complete and accurate.
- Outpatient WebCert, Training presentation for data certification via THCIC system, updated April 26, 2013 (PDF Format, 4.99 MB)
- Contact System13 Help Desk at 1-888-308-4953 or firstname.lastname@example.org for help with electronic data submission problems, system login problems, changing a Submitter contact, or other help topics. If there is no representative available to assist, a message may be left for a return call. Assistance is available Monday through Friday 8 AM to 5 PM central standard time. System13 adheres to the Texas state observed holidays.
- Contact THCIC by email at email@example.com us for assistance with WebClaim, WebCorrect and WebCert.
- Online training is available to Submitters and Providers. The schedule is available here.
3M™'s Clinical Risk Grouping Software is being considered for stratifying outpatient data. Additional information on the CRGs:
Download Adobe Reader to view PDF files. Viewers for reading and printing Word files, Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint files are available from Microsoft's Download Center.
If you have suggestions or comments, please submit them to THCIC.
External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Texas Department of State Health Services. These sites may also not be accessible to people with disabilities.